As a single woman, I too know what it is like to be alone on the holidays. I can rejoice in the fact that I may be alone, in the physical sense, but I am never lonely, because of the presence of God. As single women, we are called to be concerned about the things above, the things that concern God.
There are too many hurting and needy people for us to be lost in our “being alone.” When I say pitifully, “Well I guess I’ll go home to myself,” my wise niece always reminds me, “Auntie you’re never alone because Jesus is at home waiting for you.” While God prepares you for that husband and those children you long for enjoy your precious time with Jesus, because when marriage and children take stage, it becomes center stage and the time you had alone will seem but a memory. Be encouraged and know that if you take care of things of God, He will faithfully take care of your things, the things that matter to you.
- Psalms 37:4 says, “If you delight in the Lord He will give you the desires of your heart.”
- John 15:7 says, “If you abide in Me and My word abides in you ask what you will and it shall be given unto you.”
- Matthew 6:33 says, If you take care of the things of God He will take care your things!! (Paraphrase mine).
- Then Galatians 6:7 says, “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked whatsoever you sow, so shall you reap.” If you have sowed love, compassion, and the like, you will reap them in your season.
- Psalms 1:3 says, you will yield fruit (the harvest of your desires) in its (your) season.
If what’s been said doesn’t spark a greater understanding and provide some peace during this time of being alone here are some practical ideas that single women can do and find joy in the process during this festive time of the year.
- Get together with other single friends and make a tradition of celebrating each other.
- Plan a trip with two or three or more friends. Skiing is a great outlet. There are so many places you can go and enjoy being with people who love you. Single people should build a bond that allows them to become families while waiting on that family – if that is your desire.
- On the same idea as the first one with money a consideration for many during this time – have a pot luck fiesta. Find common ground with music, movies, and board games. Trust me there is fun to be had by all!!
- Ladies of course I recommend a fabulous sleep over!! How fun!! Time to play truth or dare, tell war and victory stories, swap recipes – be young and carefree!!
- There are many shelters, all over with families, and ladies, single women with children, whom you could adopt (This is for free: You don’t adopt just for the season but on a continual basis for the reason). What a time, if you’re Christian,
to give a real gift to the birthday BOY. (When you’ve done for the least of these you’ve done for Me.)
- Just as you single ladies are alone there are widows alone – what a time for generational fellowship!!
- Visiting and spending time with seniors in convalescent centers are a great way to be a blessing.
- Don’t despise your singleness. Enjoy the happiness of family and friends in your life. If you celebrate them when it comes time to celebrate you, you’ve got a fan club excited for your time – whatever that time is.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, “There an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event (your marriage, your children, etc.) under heaven.” So, while you have this awesome time to bask in the love of the Lord and enjoy the intimacy truly only a single woman sold out for Jesus can experience, make the most of your time with God and allow Him to fill you up completely.
So, whether you are in jail, rehabilitation center, a shelter, or an apartment, the eyes of the Lord are on you and He’s waiting for you to stretch out your arms and allow Him to love you as no one else can love you. Be blessed.